Our Policy Agenda
Freedom Network USA engages with federal agencies and lawmakers to advance a human rights based approach to human trafficking. We promote policies that address the root causes of trafficking, guarantee the protections and rights of trafficked persons, and encourage survivor leadership in efforts to combat human trafficking.
Current Advocacy Efforts
Reauthorization of the Trafficking Victims Protection Act
Freedom Network USA continues to call for the swift reauthorization of the Trafficking Victims Protection Act. FNUSA worked closely with congressional staff during the drafting process to ensure that all survivors have access to services, law enforcement efforts target the arrest of traffickers and the federal government prioritizes prevention efforts that address root causes. Read our op-ed in the Hill.
Protecting Child Trafficking Survivors
Freedom Network USA is committed to ensuring child victims of trafficking have expeditious access to the services and support they need. FNUSA advocates on behalf of both foreign-born and US citizens by supporting programs that provide youth-based services, weighing in on immigration policy and participating in open dialog with government agencies who fund services.
Improving Federal Grant Funding for Trafficking Victim Services
Freedom Network USA has developed recommendations for DOJ’s Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) and HHS’ Office of Trafficking in Persons (OTIP). These agencies administer the primary forms of federal funding for trafficking victim services. FNUSA’s funding recommendations aim to ensure services are available to all survivors, regardless of their age, gender, nationality, gender identity, sexual orientation or form of trafficking.
Letters and Memorandum
Freedom Network USA engages in advocacy efforts through in person meetings, collaborative events, and written communications. A sample of our recent advocacy efforts are included below.
- Freedom Network USA Submits Comments on Proposed Child Eligibility Form to OTIP – September 2017
- Freedom Network USA Submits Questions for Stanton Confirmation – September 2017
- FNUSA Urges Caution in CDA Reform – September 2017
- Freedom Network USA Responds to the 2017 Trafficking in Persons Report – September 2017
- FNUSA Submits Funding Recommendations to OTIP and OVC – August 2017
- Freedom Network USA joins over 400 NGOs in opposition to the No Sanctuary for Criminals Act and Kate’s Law,– June 2017
- Freedom Network USA and Alliance to End Slavery & Human Trafficking (ATEST) – joint statement on the Protection of Children Act of 2017 (H.R. 495)– June 2017
- ATEST FNUSA Statement on Protections for UACs – June 2017
- FOIA Response Received ICE CP Directive – May 2017
- FNUSA joins ATEST for comments on Sanctuary Cities – April 2017
- Freedom Network USA Submits Feedback for White House Meeting – March 2017
- Freedom Network USA Submits Questions for Sessions Nomination – February 2017
- Freedom Network USA Submits Comments on Proposed Rule for J-1 Visa Program – February 2017
- Freedom Network USA Submits Comments to DHS on T VIsa Interim Rule – February 2017
- Freedom Network USA Submits Questions for Puzder Nomination – January 2017
- Freedom Network USA Price Submits Questions for Price Nomination – January 2017
- Freedom Network USA input for 2017 Trafficking in Persons Report – January 2017
- Freedom Network USA stands with ACLU for reproductive rights – Statement on TVAP grant awards
Freedom Network USA is committed to solutions that address the root causes of human trafficking.
- FNUSA Urges Congress to Oppose Attacks Children Immigrants
- FNUSA Requests Meeting with Secretary Duke on Refugee Processing
- FNUSA Opposes Puzder Nomination with National Domestic Workers Alliance
- FNUSA Opposes Executive Order and DHS Implementation Memos with ASISTA Immigration Assistance
- FNUSA Supports of Milk with Dignity Campaign with CIW
- FNUSA Opposes passage of Criminal Alien Gang Member Removal Act
- FNUSA Opposes End to DACA Program with New York Anti-Trafficking Network
- FNUSA Opposes ICE Request to Reprogram Funds for Detention Costs with National Immigrant Justice Center
- FNUSA Opposes USCIS Director Nomination with Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- FNUSA Supports Dream Act and Opposes the Succeed Act with National Immigrant Law Center
- FNUSA Opposes ICE Raids on UACs and their Sponsors with Immigrant Legal Resource Center
- FNUSA Urges Senate to Maintain Existing Funding for UAC Program
- FNUSA Opposes Immigrant Detention Expansion